Assistant Professor, Nutrition
Building: Peterson Hall, Room 4104
In the News
- October 20, 2022
- August 8, 2022
- August 3, 2022
- June 28, 2022
- May 16, 2022
Dr. Raedeh Basiri is an assistant professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies. Basiri’s research interests are assessing the effects of healthy eating on the prevention and treatment of diabetes and obesity. She is also interested in preventing pediatric obesity via the application of multi-faceted interventions. Basiri’s research has shown that nutrition interventions have significant positive effects on wound healing in patients with diabetic foot ulcers. The application of findings of her research also saved a patient with diabetic foot ulcers from an amputation. Before coming to Mason Basiri was a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology at Florida State University where she was conducting clinical research on the effects of functional foods in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis. She is also a registered dietitian and has worked in the field as an RD in the inpatient and outpatient settings. Basiri has been founder and president of Nutrition and Dietetics Specialty Clinic where she consulted individuals with various dietetic and nutritional needs.
Basiri R, Spicer MT, Levenson CW, Ormsbee MJ, Ledermann T, Arjmandi BH. Nutritional Supplementation Concurrent with Nutrition Education Accelerates the Wound Healing Process in Patients with Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Biomedicines. 2020;8(8): E263. doi:10.3390/biomedicines8080263
Basiri R, Spicer M, Joseph Munoz, Arjmandi B. Nutritional Intervention Improves the Dietary Intake of Essential Micronutrients in Patients with Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Curr Dev Nutr. 2020; 4( 2):8. https://doi: 10.1093/cdn/nzaa040_008.
Akhavan, N.S.; Pourafshar, S.; Johnson, S.A.; Foley, E.M.; George, K.S.; Munoz, J.; Siebert, S.; Clark, E.A.; Basiri, R.; Hickner, R.C.; Navaei, N.; Levenson, C.W.; Panton, L.B.; Daggy, B.P.; Arjmandi, B.H. The Relationship between Protein Intake and Source on Factors Associated with Glycemic Control in Individuals with Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. Nutrients 2020; 12(7), 2031. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12072031.
Basiri R, Spicer M, Arjmandi B. Nutrition Supplementation and Education Increases the Healing Rate in Diabetic Patients with Foot Ulcers. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2019; 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzz049.P19-005-19
Basiri R, Spicer M. The Effects of Nutritional Supplementation and Education on the Healing of Diabetic Foot Ulcer. Annals of Case Reports. 2018; 3: 34.
Basiri R, Zarini G, Vaccaro J, Exebio J, Huffman F. Relationship between Intake of Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1) with Blood Lipids and Biomarkers of Glucose Homeostasis in Haitian Americans and African Americans With and Without Type 2 Diabetes. The FASEB Journal. 2015; 29, No.1-supplement.
Garcia-Meseguer M.J, Vico C, Basiri R, Campa A, Huffman F. (2014) Body Mass Index Among a Sample of College Students: Environmental and Genetic Factors. International Journal of Community Nutrition. 2014; Suppl: 96.
- Department of Nutrition and Food Studies Future Education Model Committee, 2021-present
- College of Public Health Research Committee, 2021-present
- Scientific Advisor, Deecyda early learning education, 2020-present
Honors and Awards
- Travel grant, Florida State University, College of Human Sciences, 2019
- Dissertation Award, Florida State University, College of Human Sciences, 2018
- Dissertation Award, Florida State University, Graduate School, 2018
- Nominated for Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Florida State University, 2017
- Pao-Sen Chi Memorial Scholarship Endowment for Excellent Academic Record, 2016
- Early Career Rep for the Nutritional Immunology and Inflammation RIS, American Society for Nutrition
- Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Member, American Society for Nutrition
- Doctor of Philosophy, Nutritional Sciences, Florida State University
- Dietetic Internship, Florida State University
- Master of Science, Dietetics and Nutrition, Florida International University
- Bachelor of Science, Nutritional Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University